Anyway, on to the SWI visit. Anna was playful on the trip down. She even let out a little smile. The picture is not the best, but I had to document it. She was looking up at Matt being silly.
| A little grin for Daddy |
We arrived at the SWI to the roar of firecrackers. Our guide said they were to welcome us. We have discovered that the people in the Jiangxi province love lots of loud firecrackers. A bunch of the were set off in front of our hotel the first day for a wedding, and the next day a procession of them were set off down the street for a funeral procession. So, we felt right at home with the firecracker welcome!
We were welcomed into a meeting room with fresh fruit and a sign that says something like "welcome family of Ji Zhou Xuan". We visited with the Director, Assistant Director, Children's Director, and Paperwork Organizer for the SWI. I gave them gifts and a photo album of children who were adopted from here. They were thrilled and called each child out by their Chinese nickname. I also asked if we could see some children who are waiting on their families. They said yes to the first one, but they told us the others were in foster care. Matt was thoughtful enough to ask if we could stop by and see the foster family. They actually called the foster family and arranged for us to meet them at a local hotel lobby to see the kids. I was shocked!
After greetings and fruit (which we ate but wondered afterwards if we should have), we went upstairs to see where Anna lived. We met her nanny and although she did reach for her, she didn't cry or fuss when Matt kept her in the ergo. We had decided ahead of time that she would stay in the ergo at the SWI so we didn't scare her into thinking we were leaving her.
| Meeting the Nanny |
We got a picture of Anna in front of her previous crib. There were 6 kids in the room. Anna and another girl left on Sunday, so the crib next to Anna's was empty also. The room was small with the 6 cribs plus a cot for the nanny and a small TV. The nanny stays 24 hours a day, but I don't know if they rotate or if she is there all the time. It was obvious that she loved Anna and talked very sweet to her and smiled at her.
Caleb continues to amaze me on this trip. He has such a sweet caring personality, and it has amazed me to see him interact with the locals and it brought tears to my eyes to see how gentle he was with the little ones in Anna's room. I so hope that I find out who adopts this little one so that I can share this picture with them.
| Looking out their window to the front courtyard |
When it was time to go, we walked out of the building and I got a little lump in my throat. I owe these people so much for saving our daughter's life and raising her and preparing her file for adoption. They have been guardian angels for Anna. We so enjoyed our time visiting with them, and it added precious memories to our trip.
| Waving good-bye to her nanny in the window |
We took a picture in front of the SWI with the director (left) and assistant director (right).
After our visit to the SWI, we headed into town to a hotel for a HUGE lunch with the SWI staff and other government officials from Ji'an. It was an unbelievable event. I later found out that the "registration fee" that we paid to visit the SWI included lunch. So, our treat, LOL. I think they ordered everything on the menu, including beer and some sort of alcohol that was 80 proof, or so we were told. They toasted everyone multiple times, and we joined in the toasting with our Pepsi and Water. Then, they started tossing out cigarettes, but we graciously declined. Our guide told us that we should toast them, so we thanked them for their hospitality and for taking care of Anna. At the end of all the toasting, they had a final toast where they had to down everything in their glass. I was so glad that our driver was drinking herbal tea.
| Mommy, can I pleeeaaasssseee have the camera? |
| Thank you! Say Cheese! |
Anna was exhausted on the way home. She played with the camera for a little while and then slept either in Matt's lap or mine most of the way home.
We came back to the hotel and repeated last night's routine. It's our last night in Nanchang. After we get Anna's passport tomorrow, we board a flight to Guangzhou with all the other US adoptive families. We are now ready to move on, and I think Anna has some closure too.
Good Night from Nanchang! Hello Guangzhou!
3 comments:
Wow, what an amazing experience! Thanks for sharing you photos, I recognize the assistant director, she was with Kerry when we got her and seemed very nice. Thanks so, so much for sharing the photos I sent, too. It looks like your sweet Anna is relaxing and opening up a bit...love that cute little grin in the first photo.
Gin =)
Hey Guys...I am having trouble sleeping too, but I don't have an excuse??? It is 1:46am and I decided to get caught up on your adventures. She is absolutely beautiful. We are so happy for you guys! It just brings tears to my eyes. I can't wait to meet Anna. Looks like ya'll are having an awesome time. Jake and Jenna, especially Jenna, can't wait to meet Anna too. Be safe and take care! Love to all...Kim
Love hearing the updates from China, I know you guys are exhausted but wonderfully so. Congratulations on finally getting Anna :)
Post a Comment