Wednesday, December 7, 2011

2 months home and surgery date

We have been home two months now, and Anna has adjusted better than I ever could have imagined those first few days.  She will now let me comfort her when she falls out of the chairs (she loves to climb and what goes up must come down!).  She will lay her head on my shoulder when I pick her up in the morning and snuggle for just a minute before pointing toward the kitchen indicating that it is time for me to get her milk.  She will wrap her arms around our necks and squeeze a big hug.  She can understand so much that we say to her, and she is starting to use her sweet little voice to say "mama", "dada", and "chips" (which refers to potato chips or chocolate chips, whichever is in her sight).  She laughs a great big belly laugh when we play with her and tickle under her jaw or on her tummy.  She reaches up her arms to be picked up.  She waves good-bye and will blow kisses to Daddy when he leaves instead of melting into a puddle of tears on the floor (most of the time, it does still happen, a Daddy's girl for sure).

It is not perfect, and we still have some things that will take some getting through.  She doesn't like to be held when she drinks her bottle/sippy cup.  She is very determined and will pitch a fit over things like holding her own food, and she takes offense when we cut food up (sorry girl, but you are not getting a whole hot dog!).  She still has periods of sadness that can't really be explained.  Sometimes, she cries out in the night but is usually easily comforted by a pat on the back.  I wonder if she is haunted by memories from her past.  She will also sometimes lay down on the hardwood floor and pull her shirt over her face and go to sleep. 

When she does that, I gently pick her up and cuddle her and place her in the warm soft bed.  Right where she is supposed to be...home sweet home.

Surgery is scheduled for January 13.  She will have the upper portion of her left kidney removed along with the duplicated ureter.  The doctor is very optomistic that she will do fine with a completely normal left kidney and a majority of the remaining right kidney.  This will be our first child to undergo major surgery, and although I've been fine with the idea up until now, I am starting to get a little nervous!  I can't exactly explain to her what is going to happen, and I don't want her to be scared or to damage the trust that we have built with her up to now.  I'm sure the children's hospital will do a fabulous job!

Please pray that we will know how to handle this and that she will feel comforted by us through this procedure.

3 comments:

At Home Together said...

She has responded so much to all the love she is receiving from you all. Anna is a blessing to all of us at Church, too.

Jules said...

Love the picture in this post! You can just tell she has come out of her shell and is enjoying her new home. Wishing you guys a wonderful 1st Christmas with Anna!

Virginia said...

Oh my goodness, look at that smile! What a cutie. Wow, it sounds like she's really making some amazing progress, too! Like I've said so many times, she reminds me so much of Kerry in those first months. Time heals a lot of wounds as they say, even in ones so young. Hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas. I'd love to hear all about your Anna's first Christmas =).

Gin

Gin =)